EFINORD Regional Office
The North European Regional Office of the European Forest Institute – EFINORD – is based in Copenhagen, Denmark. EFINORD launched its activities in 2010 and promotes forest research networking within the Nordic-Baltic Sea-North Atlantic region.
EFINORD is the 5 th EFI Regional Office. The Regional Offices are integral parts of the Institute and they implement EFI strategy at regional levels.
Forests and forestry in the EFINORD region
Forests in the region have important, multiple roles:
• The forest sector contributes tangibly to the region’s economy. Sweden and Finland are among the leading wood pulp producers worldwide, and forest product exports contribute significantly to the foreign trade balance in many of the region’s countries.
• The Nordic countries are among the global leaders in technological innovations in intensive silviculture, logging and timber processing.
• Forests are an important source of recreation for the local population, and help to attract foreign tourists.
The Nordic region has a strong tradition of networking within the forest researcher community of around 1,500 individual forest researchers. However, the trend of decreasing national funding is underpinning the need for deeper cross-border cooperation.
The main aims of EFINORD are:
• Strengthening forest research and networking in Northern Europe
• Encouraging North European forest researchers to take part in European projects
• Increasing regional synergies by e.g. providing support to networks, research meetings, projects and joint utilization of unique research facilities
• Promoting research activities of North European relevance
• Contributing to the European Forest Institute’s (EFI) strategic core functions
• Initiating and facilitating communication of research results, thereby supporting EFI’s strategic aim of providing information on Europe’s forests to stakeholders
The overall purpose of EFINORD is to create closer links between the region and EFI, and to add a European dimension to existing Nordic forest research cooperation. EFINORD includes numerous research organisations in Northern Europe, and has a solid base for regional collaboration. Moreover, EFINORD forms an umbrella for forest-related projects and promoting sustainable forest management in the macroeconomic EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region (EUSBSR) and its action plan.